The Indian batsmen paid in on a flat track at the Galle International bowl and created the Sri Lankan bowlers toil hardthroughout day one once winning the toss and opting to bat in the 1st test on Wed.
Centuries from opener Shikhar Dhawan (190) and Cheteshwar Pujara (144 not out) helped India reach 399/3 at stumps with Ajinkya Rahane also batting on 39.
India rode on a 253-run second wicket effort between Dhawan and Pujara to surpass the best ever 1st day’s total of 351 runs in Sri Lanka.
Later, Pujara and Rahane added another 113 runs for the fourth-wicket to take the visitors to their second ever highest opening day’s total.
Abhinav Mukund (12) and captain Virat Kohli (3) were the only two batsmen who failed to get going on a pitch which had no assistance whatsoever for the bowlers – pacers or spinners.
As a result, India broke quite a few records during the day. Here’s a look at the numbers from the first day’s play.
– 190 is the highest individual score for Shikhar Dhawan after the 187 he scored in his maiden Test innings against Australia in Mohali in March 2013.
– 399/3 is India’s highest total on Day 1 of an away Test. Previous best was 375/9 vs New Zealand at Wellington in 2009.
– This is also India’s third highest score on Day 1 of a Test match, home or away, and also the highest for any side vs Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka.
– This is only the third instance when India have opened the innings with two left-handers – Dhawan and Mukund after Gautam Gambhir-Irfan Pathan (2005) and Gambhir-Mukund (2011).
– The unlikely pair of Abhinav Mukund & Shikhar Dhawan is India’s 152nd opening pair in their Test history.
– Most runs in a session by an Indian batsmen – 133 by Virender Sehwag vs Sri Lanka (Mumbai, 2009), 126 by Shikhar Dhawan vs Sri Lanka (in this match) and 121 by VVS Laxman vs Australia (Sydney, 2000)
– Two Indians scoring centuries on Day 1 of an away Test: Sadagoppan Ramesh & Rahul Dravid vs Sri Lanka in 1999, Sachin Tendulkar & Virender Sehwag vs South Africa in 2001, Shikhar Dhawan and Cheteshwar Pujara vs Sri Lanka in this match.